IN A GIST
In a world saturated with content, it's time to make your podcast stand out. You may already be active on Spotify, YouTube, and Instagram, or wherever, but let's face it, there are some hidden quirks and algorithm secrets that not everyone knows.
You may already have a presence on Spotify, YouTube, Instagram, and more. But knowing how to truly leverage these platforms is a different ball game.
How frequently should you promote your episodes? And what can you do to truly stand out from the masses?
The key lies in understanding that not all platforms and strategies are created equal. So, let's embark on a journey where we'll reveal:
- A case study on organic promotion
- 4 algorithm secrets and must-knows for top platforms
- 3 podcasting platforms you might not be using yet
Our aim? Empowering you to make informed decisions that fuel your growth and keep your listeners hooked. So let's dive in.
Case Study: The Power of Organic Promotion
An acclaimed Irish banjo player needed to promote his folk music podcast. So, he partnered with Fred & Augustus, a top marketing agency. The results? A 90.9% boost in organic traffic, 85% growth in subscriber emails, and a near-perfect 99.89% increase in yearly downloads.
By the second month, downloads climbed by an astonishing 162.5%. Their strategy not only solved the visibility problem but led to immediate, impressive growth.
What follows are key steps extracted from Fred & Augustus' successful strategy, which you can employ for potential similar results:
Build a Strong SEO and Content Foundation
- Optimize On-Page Elements: Craft compelling meta titles, meta descriptions, and headers (H1s, H2s) that reflect the essence of your podcast. Incorporate on-page keywords that align with your target audience's search queries.
- Structure your Website: Ensure your podcast has a dedicated landing page on your website. This central hub will serve as a go-to resource for your audience, offering episode releases, news, and updates in one place. You can craft a compelling landing page from scratch or use these templates to get you started.
Leverage Social Media
- Use Bite-Sized Content: Create concise, digestible snippets of your podcast episode for social media. If you need help, CoSchedule’s Social Message Optimizer tool is an excellent resource for testing the effectiveness of your content before posting.
- Balance, Promote, Amplify. Carefully plan your social media rollout dates to balance other content pillar messaging. Ensure your audience isn't overwhelmed or your key messages are not overshadowed. To support your marketing efforts, create promotional "asset kits" for guest speakers to share.
Implement Effective Email Marketing
- Announce with Impact. Introduce your podcast to your followers with a dedicated email. Use compelling language and graphics to catch the attention of your followers and drive them to give it a listen. Here are various templates you can use for your podcast’s emailer.
- Consistent Podcast Updates. Make your podcast a constant presence in your followers' inboxes. According to RadioPublic, a simple and effective approach to keeping your newsletter active is to include something to keep an ear out for in a recent episode and an update on what's coming up next. This can include new episode releases, behind-the-scenes content, or guest announcements.
Master the Algorithms: Key Tips for Popular Platforms
Now that we've understood the basics let's dive into algorithm secrets for platforms like YouTube, Spotify, and Instagram.
Engagement Signals Matter
Focus on generating high levels of user engagement through likes, comments, shares, and watch time in Youtube and Instagram.
Encourage interactions, ask questions, and create shareable moments in your content. This helps boost visibility.
Help the algorithm understand and rank your content appropriately. Use relevant keywords in titles, descriptions, and tags. Create compelling and accurate thumbnails to improve click-through rates. If you need help in creating content, Deciphr AI can help you engage your audience in new ways.
Consistency and Retention
Maintain a consistent upload schedule and create captivating content that improves viewer retention.
Longer watch times and regular uploads signal algorithmic relevance.
Playlist Placement and Listener Engagement
On Spotify, expand your reach and attract algorithmic attention by promoting your content through collaborations, playlist placements, and cross-promotion. Encourage listeners/viewers to save, share, and engage with your content.
Uncharted Podcasting Platforms
Beyond the familiar giants, let's explore three lesser-known podcast platforms: Google Podcasts, SoundCloud, and Audible.
Google Podcasts: The Analytics Powerhouse
Google Podcasts Manager offers an array of data to boost your podcast strategy.
Here's how you can use it:
- Assert Your Digital Presence: Start by staking your claim on Google Podcasts Manager. Submit your podcast RSS feed to Google Podcasts Manager and verify it. You'll need to verify it by clicking the verification link sent to the email associated with your RSS feed.
- Decipher the Code of Analytics: Make use of Google's analytical power to your advantage. The dashboard metrics like "total plays," "play time," and "listener retention" can offer valuable insights.
SoundCloud: The Undiscovered Frontier
SoundCloud offers unique opportunities for direct interaction and discoverability.
- Join SoundCloud Pro Unlimited: This type of membership ensures you have the necessary features and tools to elevate your podcasting game. We’re talking custom listening reports, unlimited global release distribution, and over $1,500 worth of savings on exclusive offers.
- Leverage SoundCloud's Tagging Feature: Tag your episodes with relevant keywords, genres, and topics to attract the right audience. Think of it as a game of strategic hide-and-seek, where you want to be found by those who resonate with your content.
- Embed SoundCloud Players: Amplify your voice by embedding SoundCloud players on your website and social media platforms. Share your podcast episodes in an easily accessible format, allowing your voice to resonate across the digital landscape.
Audible: The Audiobook Oasis Reimagined
Audible is not merely a haven for audiobooks; it’s an untapped resource for podcasters.
To maximize your presence on Audible, follow these steps:
- Submit Your Podcast via Audible's Creator's Portal: Begin your Audible adventure by taking the first step of submitting your podcast through Audible's Creator's Portal. Follow the provided instructions to showcase your podcast to Audible's dedicated listeners.
- Craft Compelling Metadata and Descriptions: Delight potential listeners with enticing metadata and gripping descriptions. Create a mouthwatering appetizer that leaves them eager for more.
- Create Exclusive Content: Show appreciation to Audible's dedicated listeners by offering exclusive bonus content. Craft special episodes, behind-the-scenes insights, or additional resources that are exclusively available to those who tune in on Audible.
You've got the map, the compass, and the strategies. With these strategies and insights in hand, you're well-equipped to venture into the world of podcasting with renewed confidence. Variety is the spice of life, and in the realm of podcasting, it's the flavor that will keep your audience coming back for more.
Stay Informed with Deciphr
Don't miss out on the latest and greatest from Deciphr.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.